So this is how my day off went. Well…sort of. It started early because I forgot to turn my alarm clock off. The motorola phones can be especially obnoxious when it comes time to turn to. Any way, after righting that, I managed to get in another hour or so before Chris dropped by to check out the boat for the first time. Thankfully, he came bearing gifts of breakfast and hot coffee, and it was fun to show her off a bit. He’s the first to come by and check it out since I’ve been home. After that, it was a quick look around and then marathon shopping and errands that took up a good bit of the day. I’m happy to report that I now have a new trash can. All of that ended with a wild cleaning and demunging, and then wire started coming out.
The pic above is the bulk of my efforts today. If it was installed in Nautilus and ran on alternating current, it is no longer installed. The two exceptions to this are the water heater and the battery charger. To my knowledge, those both work. The rest of this mess, or at least the majority of it, is vintage ’79 gear. The outlets came complete with a $.99 sticker from Home Emporium. A quick google search of Costa Mesa yields nothing. I guess they didn’t make it.
This pic shows the back of the A/C switch panel. No meters, no fuses…I’m not even sure if these toggle switches are even breakers. Time for it to go, in favor of a modern unit with modern conveniences and modern protection.
This tangle is the A/C wiring before being traced and pulled. This equates to six outlets (none of which were fault protected) and the battery charger. The water heater wasn’t hooked up, and the reefer has long since been uninstalled. Also, the panel lines up with the Yanmar instrument cluster. There is some type of black glue that was packed in the back of one of the gauges. It since melted, and now black sticky shit is all over everything. That’s the black mess you see on the tri-wire in the photo. I’m going to go through the instrument cluster and I’m thinking it’s going to take acetone to get the boat clean of this mess. Reminds me of the La Brea tar pits.
Here’s a prime example of what not to do in general, let alone on a boat. Solid core house wire butt connected to non-tinned multi-strand with big bits of insulation missing. Sure, it’s in the grounding wire, but if this is indicative of the installation, it bears further review. This was a repair at some point. The rest of the wire was installed properly, although it was solid core. All marine wire should be multi-strand, as the solid core can vibrate and sever, causing issues. I’m thinking they didn’t know better in ’79. She hasn’t been hooked to shore power since 2009. I figure she’s due to be looked at.
Here’s another example of what 30 years in the marine environment can do to you. This is a standard Leviton household plug, and was installed in the head near the wash basin. I had been juggling between the actual marine outlets and the weather resistant “outdoor” units from Lowe’s. While I had previously been leaning towards Lowe’s, I’m now leaning towards Marinco. Perhaps I’ll call the manufacturers and see what they say about the differences.
And lastly…my boss. Such a slave driver. He constantly keeps an eye on me, even if he does try to be sneaky about it. I guess no job is too small for supervision.
So it’s back to work tomorrow for the July 4th holiday weekend. You’d expect the 4th to be a super big deal here in Yorktown, but it’s not much different from anywhere else in the states as far as I can tell. For me, it’ll just mean one more sail added on to the schedule. I should have some more time off this coming week to focus on reinstalling the a/c systems. Shore power cable will be here tomorrow. I’m considering some major wood repair in the future…I’ve got some water damage in the bulkhead between the lazz and the main cabin, and repairing this would also afford me the opportunity to relocate the breaker panels out from underneath the companionway, where they are likely to get wet. More posts then…come see me on Alliance!